You may have seen Genevieve La Caze on your television screens recently, representing Australia at the Rio Olympics in the 3000m Steeplechase and the 5000m events. O
She hasn’t slowed down since the Olympics! In fact, Genevieve also recently smashed the Australian 3000m Steeplechase record at the Paris Diamond League, making her the fastest female Aussie steeplechaser in history. So how does she fuel her body to go the distance? And what are those secret items in her gym bag she carries with her?
Here, Genevieve shares her gym bag essentials, as well as her typical day on a plate.
Genevieve’s Gym Bag Essentials
- Phone: But it’s not to scroll through social media! Genevieve keeps all of her training programs on her phone, and records all of her exercises on it.
- Drink Bottle: You can’t go the distance without a little H2O! Genevieve says “the importance of staying hydrated before, during, and after training should never be underestimated or taken for granted.”
- Music: Soul food for her mind, and her soles. Genevieve says while her playlists vary, she generally likes exercising in the gym to music.
- Topical Gel: Genevieve uses Flexiseq, a topical gel that helps with stiff joints to improve recovery time. Get some. Now.
- Banana: “It’s the perfect post-workout snack!” says Genevieve.
Genevieve’s Day On A Plate
“I usually wake up an hour and a half before I’m due to begin my run,” explains Genevieve. “Pre-breakfast is normally a banana with peanut butter and a coffee.”
“When I’ve finished my exercise for the morning I try to have half of a protein bar.”
“Once I’m stretched, showered, and recovered, I make my main breakfast/lunch. This consists of two soft boiled eggs, some cottage cheese, two slices of ham, ½ an avocado, ½ of a tomato all on a bed of spinach. Super yummy, and super healthy.”
“Later in the day I will have some Greek yoghurt and gluten free cereal.”
“For dinner, this is usually just some form of carbs – fresh veggies and at least 250g of meat.”
“For snacks, I usually reach for fruit, cereal, or gluten free bars if I’m feeling hungry throughout the day and in between meals.”
What are your gym bag essentials? Share your must-haves in the comments section below! Olympian Genevieve La Caze’s Day On A Plate And Gym Bag Essentials