What’s rich, chocolatey, delicious and a sure fire way to get the family on side? This gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free rich chocolate cake. And before you start thinking about the hip and thigh calories, relax. The beauty of this cake is that you only need a small slice to feel like you’ve had a full chocolate hit. Pair it with coconut cream for the full sensory experience and to cut through the richness and serve it up to the troops…
Makes: One 5 inch round cake
Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Refined sugar-free
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄2 cup Well Naturally Dark Chocolate roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup canned, unsalted, cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup water (plus extra if mixture is too dry/thick)
- 3 tablespoons raw honey or rice malt syrup (or 3 tablespoons of Natvia)
- 3 heaped tablespoons dark cacao or cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 160 ̊C.
- Lightly grease the base and sides of one 5-6 inch round spring form cake tin and dust with 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Combine and gently heat coconut oil and chocolate until just softened.
- Transfer chocolate mixture (it should not be hot) to a high-powered blender and add remaining ingredients, except for baking powder, to blender. Blend on medium-high until smooth and creamy.
- Add baking powder and blend on low speed 5-10 seconds or until just incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and once cooled slightly, transfer to refrigerator to chill for 4-6 hours.
- Run a knife around edge of cake before removing from the pan.
- Serve chilled with a dollop of whipped coconut cream, fresh berries and grated Well Naturally Chocolate. Note: This cake is best kept refrigerated and served chilled
Recipe by Hayley Cavicchiolo courtesy of Well Naturally