Introducing solids is a breeze with this sweet and fruity apple and blackberry crumble baby food recipe. Bub’s first words will be ‘more, more, more!’
Recipe creators and authors of the newly released The Allergy-Free Baby & Toddler Cookbook, Fiona Heggie and Ellie Lux say this traditional apple and blackberry crumble is 5 star delicious. “We have also included the option of adding in some ground flaxseed, widely available in supermarkets and health food shops and a great source of omega-3 – it also adds a nice crunch.” For other recipe variations and tips from Fiona and Ellie, see below.
Apple And Blackberry Crumble
Makes: 4 portions Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 30 minutes
300g cooking apples, peeled and cored and cut into small pieces
1½ tbsp fresh orange juice
50g blackberries, cut in half if large
80g gluten-free plain flour
50g dairy-free sunflower spread
25g caster sugar
1 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/400°F/Gas mark 6.
2. Place the apple and orange juice in a saucepan over a medium heat. Allow the apple to break down a little and soften, then mix in the blackberries.
3. Fill 4 ramekins three-quarters full with the softened apples and blackberries.
4. Using a mini food processor, pulse together the flour and sunflower spread until they resemble breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar, and ground flaxseed, if using.
5. Spoon the crumble topping over the fruit, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
- Use 350g chopped rhubarb instead of the apple and blackberries.
- If not allergic, serve with a scoop of ice cream.
- In addition you can use butter and/or ordinary flour in the topping.
- You can also add a tablespoon of ground nuts at step 4.
ABOUT: With special thans to Fiona Heggie and Ellie Lux. Recipe extract from The Allergy-Free Baby & Toddler Cookbook by Fiona Heggie & Ellie Lux, published by Hachette Australia, RRP $49.99.